Pulled crispy skin chicken with charred-lime guacamole
A tasty treat perfect for impressing friends & family.
PREP: 50 MINS
COOK: 1 HR, 30 MINS plus resting
8 Meat Boutique skin-on bone-in chicken thighs
120g tomato ketchup
90g American mustard
1 tbsp chopped coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika, plus 2 tsp for the chicken skin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
For the guacamole
4 limes, halved
2 large, ripe avocados stoned and peeled
pinch of dried chilli flakes
small pack coriander, chopped
For the salsa
½ cucumber, peeled, deseeded and diced
2 medium green chillies, de-seeded and finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp olive oil
2 limes, juiced
8 large corn tacos, warmed
• Remove the chicken skin from the thighs carefully, keeping them as intact as possible, and set aside. Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/ gas 2. Mix the ketchup, mustard, coriander, spices and vinegar with 100ml water in a casserole dish, then add the chicken and mix until well coated. Cook in the oven, uncovered, for 1 hr 20 mins.
• Meanwhile, spread the reserved skins out on a baking tray lined with parchment, then sprinkle with the paprika and a pinch of sea salt. Place another sheet of parchment on top, followed by another baking tray. Put in the oven on a shelf above the chicken and cook for 40 mins or until completely crisp.
• For the guacamole, heat a griddle or frying pan until extremely hot. Put the limes in the pan, cut-side down, to char, then set aside. Mash the avocado with the juice from half the charred limes, the chilli flakes and half the coriander. Season to taste.
• For the salsa, mix all the ingredients with the remaining coriander and leave for 20 mins to infuse.
• Once the chicken is fall-apart tender, remove from the oven and leave until cool enough to handle. Using a fork, pull the meat away from the bone and shred through the sauce.
• To serve, pile a large spoonful of guacamole onto a taco, add some pulled chicken, then top with the salsa, some chicken crackling and soured cream. Serve the remaining charred limes on the side for squeezing over.
Brought to you by our very own Meat Boutique butchers