PREP: 45 MINS COOK: 40 MINS
12 boneless, Meat Boutique chicken thighs
For the marinade
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried mint
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp sweet paprika
½ tsp ground cinnamon
zest and juice 1 lemon, plus 1 lemon cut into wedges to serve
4 garlic cloves, crushed
For the pitta wraps
250g strong white bread flour
7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
1 tsp golden caster sugar
2 tsp olive oil, plus a little for greasing
For the tzatziki
200g Greek yogurt
small bunch mint, finely chopped
1 small garlic clove, crushed
juice ½ lemon
1 butter or round lettuce
4 large tomatoes, seeds removed, chopped
1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
1. Tip the Meat Boutique chicken into a large bowl and add the marinade ingredients, along with 1 tsp salt and plenty of black pepper. Mix well. Cover and chill for at least 3 hrs.
2. For the pitta. In a bowl, mix the flour, yeast, sugar and 1/ 2 tsp salt with your fingertips. Add 150ml lukewarm water and 2 tsp olive oil, and combine to dough. Tip onto a work surface and knead for 8-10 mins. Clean, then lightly oil your bowl, return the dough and cover loosely with cling film. Leave to rise for 1 hr.
3. Divide the dough into four equal pieces. Roll into thin circles. Cover with sheets of oiled cling film and leave to rise for 15-20 mins.
4. To make the tzatziki, halve the cucumber lengthways and scoop out the seeds. Finely chop, and then combine with the remaining ingredients, along with a pinch of salt. Chill until ready to serve.
5. Heat the grill to its highest setting. Line a roasting tin with foil and find 4 metal skewers long enough to sit across the top with a little space underneath. Remove the chicken from the fridge, take one thigh and thread it over 2 skewers, so it has a skewer through either side. Thread another piece of chicken on top, leaving a slight gap between each piece; you should fit 6 thighs on each pair of skewers. Position the skewers on top of the roasting tin and set aside while you finish the pittas.
6. Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and brush the breads with oil. Gently lift one into the pan. It should sizzle, and bubbles should appear on the surface after 1-2 mins. When the underside is golden, flip it and cook for another 2-3 mins. Wrap them in foil as you go. Keep the bread warm in the bottom of the oven while you cook the chicken.
7. Put the chicken under the hot grill and cook for 15-20 mins, brushing with oil and any juices from the bottom of the tin regularly, and turning halfway through cooking.
8. Cut through each pair of skewers to make four kebabs and serve in the warm bread, with lettuce, tomato, red onion, lemon wedges and tzatziki.
Brought to you by our very own Meat Boutique butchers